Diabetes Management Update: A Patient-Centered Approach
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 30 million people in the US have diabetes (9% of the US population). Only 23 million have an official diagnosis, while 7 million are undiagnosed. The prevalence of diabetes is highest in American Indians/Alaskan Natives at 15%, followed by African Americans (13%), people of Hispanic ethnicity (12%) and Caucasians (7%).
An estimated 84 million people in the US have prediabetes (34% of the population) – including nearly half of adults aged 65 years old and older. The prevelance of diabetes is increasing... Read More »
With an aging population, the prevalence of osteoporosis continues to increase. There are nearly 54 million adults in the US who have osteoporosis or are at high risk for the disease. About 1 in 4 women 65 years of age or older are affected – compared with 1 in 20 men over the age of 65.3 Fifty percent of women will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
On an annual basis, fractures are linked with over 430,000 hospital admissions, 2.5 million medical office visits, and 180,000 nursing home admissions, not to mention decreased quality of life and limited mobility. It is predicted that by 2025, the cost of osteoporosis will exceed $25 billion annually. There is a growing need for health care providers to screen, educate, and intervene.. Read More »
Urinary Tract Infection: Uncomplicated Infections in Women
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are the most common outpatient infections, accounting for over 10 million office visits and 2-3 million emergency room visits each year. Women are more likely to experience a UTI than men and have a lifetime incidence as high as 60%. The likelihood of a UTI increases as women age; those over 65 years old have twice the incidence as younger females. In addition, 30 to 40% of women who experience a UTI have a recurrence, frequently within the next 3 months. The cost of evaluation and treatment of UTIs in the US is estimated at 2 billion dollars per year.. Read More »